Episode 42: Toxic Positivity
“You got this girl”, “Just look on the bright side”, “Positive vibes only”. Today we dive into why these phrases might actually not be as helpful and beneficial as we think. In this episode Maryellen discusses a thing called toxic positivity!
Included in This Episode:
- Maryellen explains why this type of positivity is toxic
- She helps us identify places we might see it in our life.
- Lastly, Maryellen shares 5 big ways to combat and deal with toxic positivity.
- “ Toxic positivity is the belief that no matter how dire or difficult a situation is, people should maintain a positive mindset.”
- “Feelings are meant to be felt. Feelings are not right or wrong, good or bad, they just are. Uncomfortable feelings are not always bad, just because it feels uncomfortable doesn’t mean we shouldn’t feel it. ”
Also, be sure to check out some of the previous episodes that I mentioned in this weeks episode: Episode 21: Is Manifesting Really Worth It, Episode 19: Feeling and Showing Gratitude, and Episode 11: Understanding and Overcoming Trendy Therapy Terms.
Check out some of the new Okay-ish merchandise that just recently went live on the website!